View Single Post
Old 06-05-04, 06:40 PM   #56
Rollo

Default Re: Fx5800U?!?! Plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
I _owned_ the ASUS 5800 *non*-ultra and even without the blower on it the annoying high pitched whine of its turbine fan at idle got to me in less than 30 minutes. I sold it on eBay ASAP and luckily got what I paid for it. It sucked, the 5900 non-ultra was a much better card - it ran cooler, ran much, much quieter both at idle and at full go, and is better suited for high res aa/af and dx9. I would rather use a GeForce FX5200 64-bit card than a 5800U/NU just because the annoying whine of the turbine of the 5800 would mean me not wanting to sit at my computer for more than 20 minutes even just using the internet.

And I'll lose 5fps over that annoying idle whine or the WOOOOSH during gameplay any day of the week. Then again, play a DX9 game at high res AA/AF and I don't think you'd want the 5800U over the 5900 that much anymore.
Well I see you wisely forgot about the other aspects of your argument, but I'm sorry to say you're mistaken about this one as well.
The 5800U and the 5800NU you had are different animals.
Like I said, the fan on the 5800U is totally inactive in 2d, and totally silent.
I had a 5800NU last year, I didn't find the fan noise as annoying as you, but to each their own.

Anyway, like I said, the 5800 is quieter than any other video card with a fan in 2d mode, because the fan doesn't run.

As far as DX9 goes, neither card has what it takes to run DX9 PS2 very well, so it's a moot point. You need a 6800 or X800 for that.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote