First some specs:
Linux SuSE 9.0
AMD 750 mhz Duron processor
NVidia Vanta/VantaLt (inherited this 'puter sorry)
I tried to upgrade from the driver YaST2 will download
and install with YOU which seems to have been 1.0-4496
to the latest - 1.0-5336.
I went through the steps described here:
1. Went to runlevel 3
2. Did "rmmod nvidia"
3. With the kernel-source:
4. sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
which then uninstalled old driver, compiled the new
module for the kernel and then did the install.
5. I then ran Sax2, which was confusing because it
refused to let me check the 3d acceleration box.
(yeah, I know its a bug with 9.0, but it really wouldn't
let me do anything, so am not sure what was accomplished)
I tried pressing "test server" and got the following message:
"(EE) NVidia(0): Failed to allocate external video decoder object."
6. With not much choice, I pressed "finalize" and rebooted with
I ran "glxgears" and got a framerate of 70 fps.
Under the old driver the framerte was 300 fps.
This page at the SuSE datbase says anything less
than 150 fps for glxgears is not 3D acceleration:
I also followed up on :
pyth7@linux:/> ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1 (0x40029000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40086000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40094000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 (0x40190000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/libm.so.6 (0x401e1000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x40205000)
libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libGLcore.so.1 (0x40338000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x407ed000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
The libGL and libGLcore have the 5336 tags so it seems to be
hitting the right library.
I seem to have the required software and my reading
of the attached files sees nothing wrong. Why the loss