View Single Post
Old 06-13-04, 04:08 PM   #10
squirrels

Default Re: Driver screwing up tty's 1-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerickson314
The problem DOES seem to affect only some cards, but it seems quite unpredictable which cards are affected. For instance, I have had problems with a FX5200 from Asus and an MX440 (I don't remember the vendor), but I had no trouble with an FX5200 from AOpen (besides the fact the card eventually overheated to ruin, but that could have been a problem from poor case ventillation). If you have an older card and are on a 2.4 kernel, you can use version 4363 of the driver. This version has no trouble with the framebuffer but is older and might not support a newer card. I don't know how the minion.de version works for kernel 2.6, if you need the framebuffer and are on kernel 2.6 it's probably worth a try.
I've got an FX-5200 and I'm running with an Nforce-2 chipset (I believe it's an Asus motherboard...A7N8X-E). I don't know if I can get support for that card using an older driver. I am on a 2.4.22 kernel right now.

What is the "minion.de version"?

Also, this doesn't have anything to do with the GART patch distributed by Nvidia with the Nforce audio and network drivers, does it? I didn't apply it because it said it only worked for 2.4.20 and .21 and as I said I'm 2.4.22.

I mean, right now I'm using the "nv" generic driver and it looks fine. I'm not sure if the official driver is necessary for more graphics-intense things.

I mean, if I NEED to run the Nvidia driver I can...it works great, it's just when I'm not using it that it screws stuff up. I can even type "startx" again on my garbled-ass framebuffer console and get back to a perfectly functional X environment. It just bugs me that it's one or the other and not both.
squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote