View Single Post
Old 06-25-04, 05:50 AM   #3
Chuck Roast

Default Re: RHEL v3 and NFORCE unified driver

Arokh, I have no idea how you found this particular line in the /usr/lib/rpm/macros file but that solved much of my network problem. It was line 308 in my RHEL AS 3 as well. However, in mine the default is not commented out and compatability isn't enforced. I commented out the line and the rpm was written out as expected. Here was the output result:
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0274.i386.rpm

I was able to then install the rpm and the network came up after I activated the eth0 device. I proceeded to do a large set of system updates and then rebooted. I noticed a failure initializing eth0 on the reboot. Here is the error:
interface 'eth0' not found
nvenet device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

On checking further, I couldn't find anything on the referenced nvenet device. I looked in the release notes at /var/tmp/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0274-root/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0/ReleaseNotes.html
It says:
The tar files don't try to modify the module configuration files. You should make sure the following lines are in the configuration file (it will be named /etc/modules.conf on most current distributions):
* alias eth0 nvnet
* alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
* alias usb-interface usb-ohci

I checked my /etc/modules.conf file and found the alias for eth0 nvnet was not present. I added that line (the others were there) and the network came right up. However, on my next reboot I found that the line alias eth0 nvnet had changed back to alias eth0 nvenet. Nvenet doesn't have a driver so the network device is never activated.

For Nvidia: I suspect there is a typo in something with the src.rpm that is causing this problem. One, the alias for eth0 was not written into modules.conf and then it is changed to nvenet on a reboot. I will manually change the file each time I reboot, but I hope you can come up with a better solution. Thanks for your time!
Chuck Roast is offline   Reply With Quote