View Single Post
Old 07-03-04, 06:29 AM   #101
Arthur

Default 6106 hangs X on blank screen with cpu usage maxed out.

I'm running Fedora 2, with offical kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3, xorg-x11-6.7.0-2. Got a Quadra 2 in a SIS650 mobo. Just tried to install the 1.0-6106 drivers. Grabbed the matching kernel-sourcecode package to build kernel interface.

When I start X, I get a quick flicker on the screen, then black. Can't switch to console (ctrl+alt+f1), however I can ssh in from another machine and kill X. If I run top, X is maxing out cpu time.

Kernel modules loads fine; no errors in dmesg and cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/* dumps sensible stuff. Xorg.0.log contains no errors, gets as far as:-

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1600x1200"

Couple of warnings:-
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failure reading EDID parameters for display device CRT-0

Have tried lower resolutions too and colour depths. Tried loosing the glx X module too (and no, I'm not loading GLcore or dri X modules).
Have tried different NvAGP options (although I think AGPGART is compiled into the kernel so couldn't use option 1). Even tried disabling AGP completely. Also tried disabling AGP fast writes:-

options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=0

Tried running the testgart app before running X, as someone mentioned early on this thread. Ran through tests fine, X still hung afterwards.

I'm at a complete loss of what to try next. The default 'nv' X driver works fine and the card runs fine under Windowz 2k.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote