View Single Post
Old 07-08-04, 12:10 AM   #1
DerekBerube

Send a message via AIM to DerekBerube Send a message via MSN to DerekBerube Send a message via Yahoo to DerekBerube
Default 6106 nVidia Driver Doesn't Work But Stock nv Driver Does

I recently upgraded to the nVidia 6106 video driver from version 5336. There were no changes made to the xorg.conf file; however, now that I'm using the 6106 driver I get the following error message:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found

If I edit the xorg.conf file and switch to the stock nv driver, then startx everything comes up without a problem.

The attached Xorg.0.log.txt file was renamed from Xorg.0.log so I could upload it.

I've attached a copy of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (attached as xorg.conf.txt). Line number 196 (the one with the "nv" driver) is uncommented. When using this file, X starts without a problem. When I comment line number 196 and uncomment line number 197 (the one with the "nvidia" driver) X fails to start with the above error.

The following is the requested configuration information.

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 440 Go
Driver Version: 1.0.6106
Distribution: Gentoo 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 kernel
Video Bios Version: rev a3
Processor: 2Ghz Pentium 4 Mobile
Motherboard Model: Dell Latitude C840

NOTE: The Video Bios Version was determined by issuing the lspci command. The "/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0" directory didn't exist when using the stock nv driver.

I'm running version 6.7.0-r1 of the X-org X11 (not XFree86).
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (17.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (8.4 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by DerekBerube; 07-08-04 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Adding attachment and additional detail
DerekBerube is offline   Reply With Quote