View Single Post
Old 11-09-02, 03:11 PM   #7
bwkaz

Default Re: Random crashes/hangs (533 Celery / GeForce2 MX)

Quote:
Originally posted by lewiz
I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE (built from CVS 8 Nov 02). I downloaded the nVidia FreeBSD driver (1.0-3203) and compiled/installed as explained. After modifying my XFree86 setup file (as explained) and restarting I have a machine that hangs or resets itself.
You're sure your motherboard isn't to blame? Does the card work in Linux, for example?

Quote:
% dmesg | grep nvidia ; dmesg | grep agp
Preloaded elf module "nvidia.ko" at 0xc053609c.
nvidia0: <GeForce2 MX/MX 400> mem 0xd8000000-0xdfffffff,0xd2000000-0xd2ffffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
agp0: <VIA 82C691 (Apollo Pro) host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe7ffffff at device 0.0 on pci0
Which chipset is this? I know it's one of Via's, but which?

Quote:
hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled
This may be the problem... can you find out why AGP is disabled in any of the logs?

Quote:
I have physically (in the BIOS) set AGP to 2x so 4x should not be allowed (although I don't know why hw.nvidia.agp.card.rates includes 4x).
What you posted is entirely correct. All that the hw.nvidia.agp.card sysctl (or the /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card file in Linux) reports is your card's hardware capabilities; and your card does support AGP 4x, regardless of what you do in your BIOS. When you set AGP to 2x in the BIOS, that gets reflected in the /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge file in Linux; apparently it either doesn't get reported in BSD, or you didn't post everything that the sysctl command printed. Either way, it shouldn't matter, as again, the hardware is reporting that AGP is disabled.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote