View Single Post
Old 07-15-04, 01:25 PM   #16
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Default Re: Setting signature limits

I was thinking about posting this myself.

I think an appropriate SIG would be 2 lines. One your system specs, and the other a favorite quote or something.

When I say system specs I mean the basic specs. Putting system specs in your sig is useful for diagnosis of problems. E.g. if game X runs really slow or crashes on my PC and you say "it works fine for me", then I look in your sig for what your specs are. Sig specs should be functional and not a space for bragging about your PC. For this purpose, sig specs should include....

-----

Your CPU model and speed and possible your overclocked speed, e.g. "P4 2.8 @ 3.2". I really don't care what stepping it is or what water cooler you have on it.

Your motherboard manufacturer and model number, this can be relevant to PC stability issues.

The amount of system ram and its type e.g. "1 Gig DDR 400". I don't care if you have dual channel enabled or not.

Your graphics card chipset, model, maybe amount of ram, possibly your _normal_ o/c speeds (not the o/c speeds you had it at once for 5 minutes) e.g. "9800 Pro 128 @ 330/315". Perhaps too the drivers you are running (aslong as you don't mind updating your sig all the time).

Your model sound card e.g. "Audigy 2", this is very relevant to troubleshooting stability issues, sound problems in games (particularly w/ 5.1 speakers), and performance problems.

Perhaps the make and wattage of your PSU. This can be relevant to system stability if you have one of the newer graphics cards.

Your O/S version and perhaps the service pack e.g. "WinXP SP2"

-----

What we DON'T need to read again and again in your sig are:

The type of airforce grade aluminum case you have.

The model of your L33T cordless optical mouse or your glow-in-the-dark cordless keyboard.

Your monitor... yes its cool that you have a 21 inch LCD with a 10 ms refresh rate, but the rest of us don't need to be constantly reminded of it.

The model number of your 1500 dollar speaker set.

Your CD and DVD drives.

The model, capacity and raid configuration of your harddrives. Other than the basic "my disk is full" problem, drive size is irrelevant to gaming.

The color of any component. I don't care if your monitor matches your case. Its not relevant to me.

The full complete specs of the secondary, tertiary and home office PCs you have, as well as the old 386 linux box you have in the corner.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote