View Single Post
Old 11-10-02, 10:45 AM   #10
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
Mike is in the process of conforming the layout to the new nvnews standard. I hope it won't take too long.

On the topic of 9700/NV30...Don't get me wrong at all, I think the 9700 is a fantastic board, and I have no doubt that NV30 is going to knock everybodys socks off...

However...when I decided to get the Parhelia, I asked myself one simple question...Which board is going to offer me something new? Something exciting? The 9700 would allow me to play pretty much any game...at any resolution, with pretty much any driver tweak enabled. That's kool and all, but I do not believe it really offers something dramatically new.

As I said, all of that will change once Doom III arrives. Clearly, a next-gen part will be a must. But until then, I really don't see any of these parts giving the end-user something "new."

Now, if NV30 were to support something like a Surround Gaming...Then, we're talking about a totally different ballgame. (I can only hope)
The consumer graphics industry as a whole has not offered anything "dramatically new" to the table since the GeForce2/Voodoo5/Radeon 256 generation (with the exception of Matrox). That's two years and running.

Matrox has been giving us something new to look at but most consumers will never have the opportunity to use them. How many of us are willing to spend the money on three monitors, in addition to the cost of the video card? How many even have room for three monitors?

People complain about the cost of video cards these days. But the true cost of "surround gaming" is considerably more than people think.

I haven't seen your review by the way.
legion88 is offline   Reply With Quote