View Single Post
Old 07-22-04, 01:34 AM   #16
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Default Re: X800 vs 6800 = Voodoo3 vs TNT2

Some of you fail to realize that, to this day, ATi is in a much better position than NVidia. They've secured contracts with all the major PC manufacturers, and they've much better products in the high volume mainstream market. The GeForce 6800 is a fine piece of hardware and I consider it superior to current ATi offerings but it's not enough.

I work in a rather big shop and I've seen the turn of events. The only NVidia card people still ask me for is the 5900XT; as for the rest, we've litterally dozens of Fx5200/5600 nobody wants that we throw in the low end PCs we sell. The 9600 in all its flavours is the best seller and, with the 9800 reaching the same price range of the 5900XT, people are willing to spend a few bucks more to purchase ATi's card. Brand recognition surely has helped NVidia in the past year and saved her from complete disaster with the FX line, but even common people have now accepted ATi as a worth competitor.

I think NVidia needs a good midrange offering as fast as possible to win back OEM contracts and the public opinion confidence.
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote