View Single Post
Old 07-22-04, 06:50 AM   #27
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Default Re: X800 vs 6800 = Voodoo3 vs TNT2

We do have both 5700 and 5700U, but I've noticed a lukewarm reception for these cards. Probably it's because in the same price segment there are better products (respectively the 9600Turbo/Pro and 5900XT)

As I said, it's a matter of perception from the public. Until the last year, there was NVidia or nothing. Now many people know about ATis "9600" and "9800" and ask for them rather than their equivalent from NVidia. If someone enters my shop and says "gimme a Volari Duo 'cuz is teh card", I'll give him a Volari, regardless of what I think of it. It's my job to sell, not to question the tastes of my customers.

Only if they ask for help in choosing a card, then I can voice my opinion (I usally ask what is their intended use, how much are they willing to pay, etc.)

But even people that ask for an opinion -sometimes- are suspicious about what I suggest because of the "imprinting" they've received from marketing campaigns and rumors (this happens quite often when I suggest AMD over Intel "Is this AMD good as Intel?")

Last edited by msxyz; 07-22-04 at 07:02 AM.
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote