View Single Post
Old 11-12-02, 05:14 AM   #1
SquireD

Default Things To Swing Me From Windows To Linux......

Hi guys,

Time for me second "I Need Help Post"...lol Ive had Red Hat Linux 8.0 for about 5 days now and Ive gotta say that it blows Windows out of the water but there are a few things i want Linux to do before I get rid of Windows XP. Dont mean to be all newbie, but I am and Ive been looking on the web for ages for the answers to these questions...lol. Well Here goes:

1. Internet radio Stations: My favourite radio station is Key 103 (Visit Key 103) and on windows when i click the Listen Live buttin it launches Windows Media Player and plays the radio staion.... How can I get Linux to do that? when I click it, it asks me to download the file...

2. MP3s: The basic player that comes with Linux for some reason will not let me play MP3s, when I load an MP3 the browser on Audio Player doesnt show the mp3 and when I press play it opens the file directories again :/ Any way of solving that?

3. Java VM: On windows before you can use Java on a website you have to download Java Virtual Machine. Ive tried to go on to Java sites and by the looks of it needs the same. Where would I get it or do I already have it and need to config it?

4. Is there any way of running Macromedia Dreamweaver MX and Macromedia Fireworks MX or is there a program thaat is similar to it for Linux?

5. Is there anyway that I can get my fonts from windows to linux, then how would I install them?

Im sorry there are so many questions, im a n00b to linux, only been using it since friday....lol. You should of seen me trying to recompile the Nvidia drivers for my card! lol Dont know if it will help but here are my system specs:

OS 1: Red Hat Linux 8.0
OS 2: Windows XP Home
Intel Pentium 4 2000mhz 400fsb
Hercules 3D Prophet 3 64mb DDR (GF3)
Abit IT7 i845 Chipset with o/b: 5.1 sound, lan, firewire, usb 2.0, ata 133 raid

Thanks for any help i get

SquireD
SquireD is offline   Reply With Quote