View Single Post
Old 07-22-04, 04:55 PM   #1
Noxis

Arrow GeForce 6800 and random freezes

I did have a problem with random freezing mainly noticed in FarCry (very card stressful) and when attempting to bench in '03

Yes I know there have been several threads but no one has posted a concrete solution. This worked for me and ALOT of other people in the OCUK forum.

First of all I thought heat, then I thought power related. However after lots of testing and forum posts it turns out it was Fast Writes being enabled causing it. I cant take credit but it definitly fixed the problem.

Interestingly disabling it in bios did not disable it in windows and I had to disable it using RivaTuner.

Also instersetingly for people not experiancing this, disabling Fast Writes appears to allow higher overclocks for people using all types of 6800s.

This appears to be a problem specifically on the nforce3 150/250/Pro/non-pro chipset ironically (as far as we know).

The problem has been posted by people in various places but its never been categorically fixed to my knowledge anyway (I did lots of googling believe me!). So I felt it best to post as a FYI for people.

Updated on 3/20/2005 by MikeC:

I put together a new system back in January, which consists of an AMD Athlon 64 4000+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard (nForce 3 Ultra), and two 512MB sticks of Corsair DDR400 dual-channel memory.

Most of my gaming of late has been in single-player mode, but this weekend I had the urge to fire up my favorite multi-player game - Enemy Territory. Unfortunately, I have spent most of that time investigating an annoying system "freeze" that occurs while playing on PunkBuster enabled servers. The system even "freezes" for a split second when PunkBuster is enabled during ET's player profile creation process.

I didn't experience this problem during a preview of the GeForce 6800 Ultra on a similar system last April. I have tested the GeForce 6800 Ultra and Radeon X800 XT PE in the new system and the problem occurs with both graphics cards. There are a number of items left to troubleshoot, but so far the only way I have been able to avoid the problem is to play on servers that do not require Punkbuster.

The main reason I am mentioning this is because of the growing number of reports of random lockups and freezes with GeForce 6 Series graphics cards. If you are experiencing similar problems during on-line gameplay, be sure to check out "Punkbuster, ATI and Nvidia: Freezing in your online FPS favorites?" over at Neoseeker. Then head over and contribute in this massive thread at HardwareForum.

System Specs:
  • AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Processor
  • MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard (nForce 3 Ultra)
  • Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO - (2) 512MB DIMMs - 1GB Total
  • Antec 550W TruePower Power Supply
  • Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
  • ATI Radeon X800 XT PE
  • Creative Sound Blaster Driver v1. 84. 55
  • NVIDIA nForce Unified Driver v5.10 (Ethernet v4.42, GART v4.36, SMBus v4.04, NVIDIA IDE v4.46)
  • NVIDIA ForceWare Graphics Driver v71.84
  • ATI CATALYST Graphics Driver v5.3
  • Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 & DirectX 9.0c

Last edited by Noxis; 07-25-04 at 12:27 PM.
Noxis is offline   Reply With Quote