View Single Post
Old 11-14-02, 03:29 PM   #11
r0gu3

Send a message via AIM to r0gu3

I have one question for you doom... what gives you ANY kind of expertise on the subject of operating systems... with the way you made that comment it comes accross as, "When I try to use linux I find it hard so I give up. Furthermore, since I can't cope with learning a new operating environment, you probably can't either, so you should give up now and save yourself..."...
I should probably appologize for that, but I really can't explain how derogatory your comments are...

I believe the title of this forum is "Linux Operating Systems & Software"... now had the guy posted to the operating systems forum instead of this one then go ahead and let your opinion's fly, but he is asking for some help, not asking whether he should try linux... Lemme explain where I am coming from...

Many people, such as myself, like to play around on computers. Now to me, being able to play around with the operating system AND the environment is worth so much its rediculous, and the fact that it is more stable than the competition is(for me) nothing short of a bonus ... So for a computer enthusiate, it has MANY other attractive features besides stability...

Many professionals, such as myself, choose this as a development platform for business. Now beyond the price tag, there ARE many wonderful features, For me, the first is the lack of FORCED SOFTWARE upgrades... Also the feature of being able to distribute all the SYSTEM libraries(lgpl) with your commercial software distribution, so that you will almost NEVER have any incompatibilities between versions.. (although the aout to elf sucked, but that involved recompiling and then that was about it, not to mention that was 4-5 years ago... and that wasn't even required...) This OS CONTROL is absolutely awsome... considering that our linux version hasn't been rewritten in about 4 years, where as the windows version has to be rewritten (at least slightly) with every os release from microsoft...

So Please until you investigate why all these people(or at least the majority) use linux, please don't tell people why they shouldn't...
</RANT>

to setup TTF fonts is simple( and pretty )...
copy all your windows based fonts from c:\windows\fonts\ (or where ever) into
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf/
Then do this...
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf
ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir
this will basically make an index that xfree86 can read...
then edit you XF86Config file (in your etc/X11 directory... although it may be called XF86Config-4) and find the section where it has fontpaths listed... then add the line...
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf"
in front of your first fontpath,
then save it and restart your Xserver...

and you are in business...

If you have any questions.. just reply...

- r0gu3
r0gu3 is offline   Reply With Quote