View Single Post
Old 08-03-04, 10:12 AM   #113
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Re: ~ Official Doom3 Feedback Thread ~

So far my opinion of the game goes along the same lines as Sazar. This is the main reason why hype sucks. It’s a sad fact that its mostly the reason so many ppl have been interested in this game so much, including myself who once vowed not to play it.

The game itself does an excellent job at what they're trying to achieve, one of the most terrifying game experiences ever experienced but, this should by no means be considered the greatest game ever. Maybe we've gotten so used to high rez textures & high poly counts that we're spoiled but even running @ 16*12 using "high quality" settings there were several textures & models that look a bit dated. Seeing as the main problem is we're limited by today's h/w, I guess there has to be a trade-off someone where: Real-time shadows/low rez textures/low poly counts vs. precalculated shadows/high poly counts/high rez textures. Regardless of all this, Doom3 is still the most "realistic" game ever released, thanks of course to the use of real-time shadows "everywhere" that allow characters to cast shadows on themselves. Just wish we had 512mb or 1gig vid cards that could "afford" to have higher rez textures & higher poly counts thrown into the midst. The U3 engine should remedy that in the coming yrs though.

For anyone who doesn't have the game yet, don't let these comments deter you. Graphics as we all know are only part of the story, it’s the game play + sound that make it a GOTY contender. I think the thing that most exciting is all the mods currently in development and of course the games that will be built using this awesome engine. Can't wait

Btw, can't wait for HL2. Have a feeling this has put Valve on overdrive. Sept 2004 anyone?
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote