View Single Post
Old 08-10-04, 02:40 PM   #44
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
So? There isn't a single game out right now that doesn't have low resolution textures at some point. Hell, Far Cry's outdoor terrain textures are about as low-res as you can get (detail textures don't count as "high-res"). Just look at a mountain slope from a couple hundred yards away, if it isn't covered with tree sprites.
From a couple hundred yards away compared to the two feet in front of my face in Doom 3 (when you can see them at all).

Quote:
As you said yourself, you are disappointed because your expectations were unrealistically high. This happens every single time a highly-anticipated game is released, yet no one ever learns to stop reading every single preview article and to stop looking at every pre-release screenshot. Just don't blame the game because you ruined it for yourself. Doom 3 was delivered to us as promised, and then some.
As Vash on this forum will tell you, I had essentially cut myself off from all things Doom 3 for the last several months. I went in with a fresh mind for it, eagerly awaiting something that could engage me like the original game in the series.

Keep in mind, the people who are saying Doom 3 sucks are in the minority. A lot of us here think quite the opposite. It's very good, but not great. It's not what I would call a watershed moment that will signal the rebirth of gaming on the PC (which has faltered over the last couple years).

Is Doom 3 worth owning and playing? No question about it. Does it have some revolutionary features? You betcha. Should you buy into all the hype? Heck no because you will be disappointed.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote