View Single Post
Old 08-11-04, 08:59 PM   #1
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81
Default No Innovation in First Person Shooters

This thread is about first person shooters (and some 3rd person ones) since i don't play much else...

While there are many well done games in the first person shooter genre that have been released this year I'm starting to wonder what happened to any sort of real innovation in first person shooters...

Far cry was great, doom 3 was excellent (in my opinion), and painkiller was a blast... however, none of these titles really innovate... far cry had great graphics...doom 3 had great graphics...but both of them had the same story...which, by the way, is the same story that half life had, and the original doom games had...

i've been waiting for a first person shooter that stands out but not because of its graphics... no new games i see really catch my attention...I'm getting tired of the same old same old...I want to see something fresh and new... developers seem to be sticking with the tried and true formulas...sci-fi, world war 2 and realisitic military themed shooters...

innovation doesn't necessarily have to be in just the gameplay in my opinion...it'd be nice to see a game with a totally unique setting and atmosphere...how many dark dingy corridors do we have to play through??

what happened to games like no one lives forever? hexen? heretic 2? giants? american mcgee's alice? MDK2? max payne? manhunt? while these games had their own problems, they were unique and unmistakable and were different from any other game when they came out...

I'd like to see a first person shooter with real characters that the player can get to know...Cate Archer (Nolf Games), max payne, and Kyle Katarn (Dark forces/jedi knight) are the only well developed characters in the shooter genre that i can think of...

i can't wait for half life 2 ... but it's not because of the graphics or physics... it really looks like they've managed to invest a lot of energy into the characters...

and what about humor? it'd be nice to see a game with a great sense of humor (ie...nolf series, mdk 2)...

i know it's harder for a publisher to get the consumer interested in games that aren't so mainstream...

anybody have any thoughts on the subject or am I expecting too much from these types of games?
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote