View Single Post
Old 08-20-04, 02:06 PM   #46
Riptide

Default Re: What would you rate Doom 3 on a scale of 1-10?

Well I just finished the game last night. Overall I give it a 7.5/10.
*possible spoilers below*

Individually I'd rate it like this:
Graphics - 9.5/10
Sound - 8/10
Story - 7/10
Gameplay - 7/10

The heat effects in this game were just amazing. Reminded me a lot of some of the steam FX you could see in the hallways while playing FC. But I think Doom3 did a better job with that effect, or at least used it more liberally for obvious reasons (the setting of the game itself). I was just amazed at how beautiful some of the rooms in the dig areas looked. All those glyphs on the walls, etc.. Just gorgeous, especially the Star Room. The teleportation beams with all the souls flying around in them was quite the site. Character models were excellent, better IMO than FC.

The story... Well I guess it was pretty much what I expected. Not disappointed in it, just not really thrilled about it I guess. I didn't mind the PDAs and reading the e-mails, viewing the video discs, etc.. That was all fine. I guess it just didn't really blow my hair back all that much in this regard.

When I first started playing the game was very scarey. I wasn't used to all these surprises. Enemies spawning behind you, etc. were pretty startling. Unfortunately, it did get tedious after a while. IMO the first 2/3 of the game started to drag after a while. It just go to predictable for my tastes. It lost the scary aspect and that's why I kinda ding it a bit on the gameplay. The saving grace for it was that the last 1/3-1/4th of the game things started to get interesting again once you kill those two hellknights and head through the portal to hell. From there it picked up a bit and I really liked battling the spider bitches in the ruins. Lotsa fun there, great time to whip out the BFG and dish out the hurt.

Overall, definitely worth the price of admission but I believe the caption for option 7 on the poll is right in line with my experience. Definitely worth the one through but this is not a game that has much replay value for me personally. After beating it the 1st time on veteran I don't think I'll be playing it through on nightmare. I can't wait to see what else comes out using this engine as it definitely does look purty.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote