View Single Post
Old 08-20-04, 05:55 PM   #1
chakkerz

Default NVidia on 2,6,7+ and up

Hi all

Now i haven't done the verbose logging thing yet, but i'll do that later today (requires recompiling of kernels and such so ...)

OK What's happening:

Any Graphic application, during loading can freeze the system, locking IO, HDD access, and coming generally to a sudden halt. Under 2.6.7 (linux) i was told it was a stack size thing, which i could not confirm, regadless of the stack size it happens.

Yesterday i updated to 2.6.8.1 (linux kernel) and worse than 2.6.7:
2.6.7 would run for hours before the lockup'd take place and it seemed to happen especially if i was running the NvAGP.
after i experienced the 2.6.7 troubles i downgraded to 2.6.6 (ran the same .config file to see if it was my doing, and it appears not to have been). during this stay in 2.6.6 country i learnt that NvAGP (in favour of agpgart) has a 300%+ performance increase over the opensource thing, so i've been using it (without lockups).

So 2.6.8.1 yesterday -> it locks most of the time during loading the game (UT2K4), though once whilst in game, and once while kde 3.2.2 was loading. Since i had just upgraded ut2004 (patches and map packs) i figured i could have killed something, so i tried to run 2k3 and that did the same thing.

Card: ELSA Galdiac FX 935 - GeForce FX5900 (128MB SDRAM)
Driver: 6111
distro: Slackware 10.0 (vanilla, no upgrades beyond kernel)
bios
chakkerz@stormcrow:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce FX 5900
IRQ: 19
Video BIOS: 04.35.20.27.e2
Card Type: AGP
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (not overclocked)
Mo'Bo: Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 (nforce2 chipset)
RAM: 1024 Dual Channelled Corsair TwinX (512 each) at DDR400

One last thing, kernel configuration:
I've run agpgart (with and without nforce support) currently i'm running without agpgart because on the whole the system runs better. and if i run it with agpgart i get an agp disabled, with a dmesg telling me NvAGP wasl blocked because of agpgart. chakkerz@stormcrow:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled

i hadn't realised fast writes was disabled, so i'll enable that, historically speaking that didn't make a difference under 2.6.7.

So what do i do to get this working properly?

Cheers chakkerz
chakkerz is offline   Reply With Quote