View Single Post
Old 08-22-04, 10:53 AM   #33
mezkal

Default Re: Saturday Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodelf
Oh I believe they are the new 32 bit color too, but remember the trouble 32 bit had getting accepted over 16bit (thanks to voodoo2/3 fans). I'm just saying that (IMHO) the struggle is probably not over, and that they are still luxuries. Remember, both game engines (HL2 and D3) are/were well over due. What setting's do we anticipate for Stalker, or unreal 3, or even a D3/HL2 engine game that some developer decides to really graphically impress with. I anticipate low AF, AA and shadows, just to keep a decent resolution. All I'm really saying is that this has happened before. New card's come out that allow current games AA/AF, then the new game (far cry for instance) comes along that put's and end to it. AA/AF have been long standing issues (especially AA) that end up on the "first to turn off list". If this weren’t true, it wouldn't still be an issue. I really believe that, had id wanted to, they could have really gone all out on the graphic's detail. One thing they should have done was to enhance the gray looking skin on some of the characters. Sure it would be nice if we could all way's look forward to
full AA/AF, but history says different.
Frankly I think consumer graphics hardware needs a whole new approach to to AA. If you look at professional level hardware like the Wildcat and Wildcat Realizm (sic) boards they have specific RAM used for FRAME BUFFER alone. Current architecture of consumer graphics hardware is just too RAM intensive for decent AA at maxed out resolution and texture details. A hardware FRAME BUFFER could overcome that limitation.

Of course I recommend going the other direction entirely.

UMA.

I think there needs to be a complete rethink of graphics hardware at the consumer level.

GPUs should be interchangeable. Just think about each time you upgrade your graphics card. You pay for VGA/DVI connectors, AGP/PCI interface and a whole slew of other components over and over each time.

I think it's time that UMA was properly investigated.

Personally, it makes MUCH more sense to have really fast RAM on your mobo and have all the connectors neccesary (DUAL DVI/SVIDEO VIVO) on the same board. Then just purchase your GPU as required. It would save money for consumers and probably would allow Motherboard manufacturers to raise their overall prices without too much consumer lashback. It would also give RAM manufacturers cause to celebrate as they could sell more of thier product too consumers rather than bulk discounting it towards OEMs and IHVs.

I know the XBOX is older tech but it does have a very workable UMA implementation based around Nforce/Nforce2.

I can't see why PC's shouldn't follow suit. Technologies like AGP/PCI-e really only get in the way (DIME certainly is being avoided as much as possible by game devs as it arrests the CPU while large chunks of texture/model etc data get shifted/accessed from motherboard hosted RAM), as data is served across the bus from HDD to CPU to VRAM. I think it would be far more efficient to serve from HDD to CPU to RAM and let decent MEMORY PROTECTION and Bounds Checking in the Host OS do its damn job.

But who knows right? It's probably on the cards *somewhere* down the line.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote