View Single Post
Old 08-24-04, 10:26 AM   #3
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: An interesting aticle about doom3/hl2

It really is nice to read an article by someone who acknowledges the fact that most gamers will actually want to play BOTH games. I completely agree with the author - this developer/hardware maker partnership crap is gonna do nothing but vastly decrease the value of 3D hardware for the consumer. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't buy my 6800 GT to just play Doom 3. I want it to play Half-Life 2, Quake 4, and whatever else is released during its lifespan. I'll be getting World of Warcraft when it comes out, and I know I can trust Blizzard to not screw me over with stupid code optimizations for specific hardware. I do buy more than just one type of game every year, after all.

If developers would just stick to the damn standards and hardware manufacturers would design their products to conform to them, we wouldn't have to worry about this. However, I do think it's a bit premature to make any judgements. Half-Life 2 isn't even out yet, probably won't be out any time soon, and when it does come out will most likely run extremely well on both video cards. Hell, the CS Source "stress test" doesn't appear to be stressing any video cards. I'm more than happy to play Half-Life 2 at 1600x1200 with no FSAA and 8x anisotropic at over 60fps. You won't see me complaining.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote