View Single Post
Old 09-02-04, 08:51 PM   #29
BYUNews
Guess Who's Back

Default Re: Geforce 6800NU overclocking

I know this thread has been dead for awhile but I want to use it to *cough* consolidate similar recent threads, and ask another overclocking-related question.

When you overclock a CPU, for example a Barton 2500, you get best results when the CPU clock speed (before being multiplied by the multiplier) is synchronized with the RAM clock speed. If you used DDR400 RAM, it would be best to have a clock speed of 200mhz.
Do graphics cards have multipliers? Would I get best performance if I found a clock speed that synchronized RAM and CPU clocks? Is this why I got inconsistent OCing results, with little speed increase except under certain "magic" clock speeds?

If so, what is the Geforce's multiplier? Does it have one? Are the clocks synchronized at 350/700, 400/800 and 425/850, or does the multiplier make things more complicated?

If anyone can enlighten me on this, I would appreciate it. I'm going to do some benchmarking when I get back home from vacation to see if 1:2 clocks are the most advantageous, but until then, does anyone else know?
BYUNews is offline   Reply With Quote