Thread: Memory Leak!
View Single Post
Old 11-21-02, 09:44 PM   #10
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by kappax
LOL, THIS IS NOT A MEM LEAK! this is good that you ram is used up!. THIS IS NOT WINDOWS.
I take it you didn't read my fourth post down. And yes, swap is being used. I would never have thought this was a problem if I hadn't seen symptoms that were reminiscent of a memory leak.

Typically what I notice is that after such a stall in UT (generally while the system still is using ~100MB of cache), the amount of swap used increases. This means, to me, that the cache isn't being cleared out fast enough to eliminate the need for the swap. In other words, I'd really like to see an option to force Linux to leave some more free RAM, and see if that fixes the problem. I'm sure it's possible to make Linux do this, but I was hoping that there was an option for it.

Regardless, I'm going to be moving back to Windows for at least a little bit. Sound doesn't seem to be working with my nForce2 (although it is no longer crashing upon loading Gnome/KDE). I'll return to Linux when some new sound drivers are released.
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote