Re: [SOLVED] 1.0-6111 was causing lock-ups with custom 2.6.8 kernel
No, unmodified 2.6.8-1.521 kernel works just fine (if you mean real vanilla, from kernel.org, I haven't tested). I actually suspect it's not the HIGHMEM settings, but the HIGHPTE one. I found this out by doing it this way:
1. copied kernel-2.6.8-i686.config from configs dir
2. changed processor type to K7 (BTW: still didn't understand why there's no athlon-specific configuration file)
3. changed a couple of stuff (including HIGHMEM and HIGHPTE)
Problem still happened. Since all the other stuff I changed was not core-related (I just turned off some unneeded modules), I turned my attention to HIGHMEM. Re-enabling it still didn't make me happy (lock-ups still happened), and when I diff'ed my .config file with original kernel-2.6.8-i686.config I realized HIGHPTE was turned off on my configuration.
I tried turning it back on and now I can normally get in and out of X, with a heavily customized kernel. Actually, right now my kernel has both HIGHMEM and HIGHPTE enabled -- I didn't test the version with HIGHPTE but without HIGHMEM (I had rebooted so many times I was happy I could stop doing it; I will try it out one more time later).