View Single Post
Old 11-22-02, 12:57 PM   #11
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by pastor

can you explain me what is all this buzz about : " IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D "

i think i'm able to spell word for word of this mysterious phrase
is he an ennemy ?
Since you asked the question, I'll answer it. There is a long history behind Derek Smart, independent game developer of the BattleCruiser series. There has long since been a controversy over his alleged Ph.D. degree. I won't go into all the details, which are out there for your finding, but I will sumarrize to say that he has never revealed the institution from which his "Ph.D." comes, nor has his name been found on any enrollment records or dissertation of any accredited university. His attorney all but stated that his "Ph.D." came from a degree mill.

On the Beyond3D forums, he made the above statement (verbatim) to another game developer who, for reasons unknown, declined to name the games he has played a part in developing. It seemed extremely ironic that someone would accuse someone else of lying due to the refusal to disclose some "simple and straight forward information" who had themselves refused for years to even give the name of the university they attended to confirm the legitimacy of their claimed degree.

I used his quote as my signature at Beyond3D, until Mr. Smart took offense to it (in his usual egocentric overbearing way) and essentially threatened legal action if I didn't cease using his quote without his permission. He was informed that if I removed the quote as my sig there, then it would be used elsewhere. The mods/administrators politely asked me to cease using his quote to prevent the further deterioration of the forums that had begun when Mr. Smart made his first appearance there. Since I have a great respect for the B3D staff, I agreed.

Hence, the quote became my signature here, and at Rage3D, and at OTCentral, HardwareCentral, TheAdminPage, PlanetUnrealForums, 3DGPU, MagicKleanForums, r3mix, hydrogen audio, Rx7Club, SRO forums, and DoA forums.

I hope that answers your question.
IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote