View Single Post
Old 09-10-04, 08:14 PM   #1
wizdom

Default RenderAccel Problems

I've already sent an email to linux-bugs@nvidia.com, no response so far.. but I thought maybe the forum would have some suggestions.

It's easy to see that a lot of people experiencing lockups with the NVIDIA driver that aren't chipset/agpgart/SBA/whatever related also note that disabling RenderAccel in their XF86Config/xorg.conf fixes the problem..

I've raised this issue about 4 times now. The first time it was on GeForce 2 Ti hardware. Now it's GeForce 4 Ti. Same difference. Adding:

Option "RenderAccel" "1"

To the Driver section of the X config causes my machine to randomly lock up, if the render extension is used heavily. Some people claim to have no problems with it and -- I'll admit -- since the 4xxx drivers I've been able to leave it enabled pretty much all the time, with only the occasional lockup.

However, like many people here (I'm sure), I downloaded the latest Xorg 6.8.0 release to try out the new (admittedly experimental) Composite extension, using the crappy xcompmgr utility. I got the utility installed and the extension registered, and all seemed to be good.

If I enable drop shadows with xcompmgr -cf, moving the window around rapidly locks up the X server. 100% CPU. I have to ssh into the machine, kill X with kill -9 `pidof X` and restart X. Disabling RenderAccel allows me to enable drop shadows, but it's all done in software then and is horrendously slow.

I did what other people here have suggested and strace'd my X binary. I did the following to test it. I started up X, with:

~$ strace -o ~/xtrace X

Then I switched back to vt7 and ran:

~$ xterm -display :0

Then I switched back to vt12 (X) and ran:

~# twm &

Then I ran xcompmgr:

~# xcompmgr -cf

Then I just randomly clicked outside of the terminal to bring up repeatedly the twm menu. Locked up in about 2 clicks. Reproduced the bug!

In ~/xtrace I see the log terminating with this, repeating indefinitely:

--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])

(The gettimeofday() "DoS"ing somebody was talking about elsewhere on the forum is bogus; it does this when RenderAccel isn't enabled, it seems to be the defacto way X functions. The above, however, does not happen.)

I simply cannot believe that a problem that has been so long lived, that is clearly software (I can kill X and restart; no problem), and in acceleration which will be especially relevant to users in future Xorg releases, has been ignored for so long!

Please NVIDIA, get somebody to fix it!
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote