View Single Post
Old 09-16-04, 10:27 AM   #40
OWA

Default Re: Anyone seen the new SpeedTree: Pangaea Demo? On Nvidias Site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpagan
well i get around 70 fps at 1600x1200 high quality settings without aa or af on all maps but when aa 4 & af 8 enabled it goes down to about 25fps, hmmm seems like too much of a big hit to me
I've been running with AA/AF on and going to 1600x1200 did cause a hit but overall, it wasn't too bad (edit: rather, what I expected from a resolution change of 1280x1024 to 1600x1200). The lows were lower than I'd like. At 1280x1024 I never saw it go below 32fps. At 1600x1200 I saw it hit the low 20s at one point. The only thing I didn't really like about the demo (besides a couple of the environments) was how a strong gust of wind would end up making the leaves act unnaturally. During one helicopter swoop, the reaction of the tree was amazing. Looked totally convincing. But, once it hovered there a while you could then make out how they had grouped the leaves and branches. Seeing them flicker in the wind in a group (noticeable when pretty close to it) looked unnatural to me. When it's more subtle and from slightly further away, I think it looked very realistic swaying in the gusts from the helicopter. I haven't tried increasing the wind using the controls yet to see how that goes.

I really like the Autumn one. Looks really nice.

1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF (fraps framerate displayed this time)
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote