Thread: Memory Leak!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-02, 11:51 AM   #22
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by kappax
the cache does not cause you to swap!
Um. I'm getting swapping with cache still in use (~100MB or so of cache in use). I have 256MB of RAM.

Quote:
when someitng needs ram it will clear out the cache (part of ot not all of it ) and make roome for the new program needing to be run.
Right. What I'm apparently seeing is that the cache isn't being cleared out quickly enough, and a little bit is being written to swap to clear out the necessary memory (Generally 200k-500k at a time).

While this could be an optimization issue (whatever is being written to swap is most probably not something that's been used recently), I'd rather that the cache is cleared instead of writing things to swap.

Quote:
Second Ut2003 is a real real real hard game on computers.
I dont know your computer specks but pausing now and this can be related to

misconfigured vid card.
bad IDE setings (seems you fixed thoes)
misconfigured or bad sound card drivers (try turning it to HW accel insted of default sound settings )
Athlon XP 2000+
nForce2
GeForce4 Ti 4200

Anyway, even if the IDE settings were bad, they should not have ever affected in-game performance. There shouldn't be anything writing to the HD while I'm playing.

I haven't checked the FPS, but I'll have to get back to you on that (in windows atm).

It is conceivable that it's the sound drivers. I'll have to look into that some more.

Quote:
Sounds like you are running a older distro, or a distro that has not optmized there kernel
Redhat 7.3
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote