Thread: nvsound problem
View Single Post
Old 09-17-04, 08:38 AM   #3
M3G4

Default Re: nvsound problem

Actually I can get no sound either when using nvsound, well the microphone works in the sense that I do hear what I say through it. However when it comes to accessing the proper device /dev/dsp I get this message:
Acrux:/home/starman# cat /dev/dsp0
cat: /dev/dsp0: Desplazamiento ilegal
Which translated to english would be something like "illegal displacement" or illegal move etc.
However if I choose to load snd-intel8x0 from kernel 2.6.8 I can get sound working but pretty limited. From all listed devices in "/proc/asound/devices" only seems to work hw:0,0 in both ways, input and output. Thus its not possible for me to use oss emulation and alsa at the same time taking advantage of the two audio channels (playback and capture) that this card appears to have.
For what I have read there could be a possible solution coming up in the next kernel take a look at the changelog. Nevertheless I am not a computer sound literate so I may have misunderstood some things.
All that I have said here refers to my new system:
Amd Athlon 64 3500+ (939), MSI Neo2 Platinum (nforce3 ultra (250)). Debian 64 unstable (from alioth). And Debian unstable 32 bits.
By the way I dont recall the name of the oss module, I know I compiled it as a module but all I have found under /lib/modules/2.6.8/kernel/sound/oss is
Acrux:/lib/modules/2.6.8/kernel/sound/oss# ls
total 1,6M
24K ac97_codec.ko 40K i810_audio.ko 1,6M nvsound.ko
And I have tried loading those as well as nvsound at the same time and everything remains the same (same "illegal ..." message).
Thats all folks!
M3G4 is offline   Reply With Quote