Thread: Memory Leak!
View Single Post
Old 11-25-02, 02:44 AM   #23
kappax

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Um. I'm getting swapping with cache still in use (~100MB or so of cache in use). I have 256MB of RAM.

Right. What I'm apparently seeing is that the cache isn't being cleared out quickly enough, and a little bit is being written to swap to clear out the necessary memory (Generally 200k-500k at a time).

While this could be an optimization issue (whatever is being written to swap is most probably not something that's been used recently), I'd rather that the cache is cleared instead of writing things to swap.

Athlon XP 2000+
nForce2
GeForce4 Ti 4200

Anyway, even if the IDE settings were bad, they should not have ever affected in-game performance. There shouldn't be anything writing to the HD while I'm playing.

I haven't checked the FPS, but I'll have to get back to you on that (in windows atm).

It is conceivable that it's the sound drivers. I'll have to look into that some more.

Redhat 7.3
ok yes it could be IDE, UT2003 is a large game and has many textures, and can need to get data from the HD at any time.

you can keep the 7.3, but upgrade to the 2.4.19 kernel with preimpt and lolate

as far as i know, there is only 2 cases someting goes to swap.

1. you are out of ram and need to use vertual ram.

2. someting sits in the ram for a long time without being accessed, then is put on swap because it is not needed.

Last edited by kappax; 11-25-02 at 02:53 AM.
kappax is offline   Reply With Quote