View Single Post
Old 09-20-04, 03:07 AM   #5
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: I miss sega hardware

Yeah, I think Dreamcast was my favorite console ever, and the Saturn did have some great classics on it that were easilly overlooked (so many hours into Dragon Force, not to mention I loved Shining Force 3 and Panzer Dragoon Orta). I don't think I've ever seen a console with as many cool features on it as the Dreamcast: the VMU (which was like a portable system in itself), online play, analog shoulder triggers (which was pioneered on their Saturn 3d control pad), hell even their "accidental" features like the ability to play user-made software on it were amazing . God did I spend a lot of time encoding videos for DcDivx, but boy was it nice popping in a single CD-R and watching 8 hours of anime. I'm still amazed at what the Dreamcast can do, playing Ecco on a PC monitor is just amazing, I still can't get over how good that game looks (even after playing Doom 3!). I think the only thing it was missing was surround sound support, it wouldn't been cool to have distinct channels in games like Ecco, or Sonic so that you could hear objects wiz by you at 100 MPH.

Actually, I can't think of a Sega console I wasn't impressed with, even the SegaCD and believe it or not the 32x had thier games (Shadow Squadren was the best space combat sim for it's time). Well, OK, so I wouldn't have been impressed by the 32x if I bought it at full price, but for $20 with a free game it was well worth it . They always seem to do something new with each console, and suprisingly it actually works out well unlike some features on some consoles (like firewire on the PS2, or connectivity on the GC).

And even though Sega isn't the same ever since they went 3rd party, they still manage to put out some amazing games. I loved Panzer Dragoon Orta, as a rail-shooter fan I can say that it's probably the best game in the genre that I've ever played. Now if only they'd make a Panzer Dragoon Saga 2...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote