View Single Post
Old 09-24-04, 09:05 PM   #61
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Actually, I think it's more BECAUSE games take advantage of the Xbox's capabilities that we don't see more 720p/1080i games. Multiplatform titles can use those modes pretty easilly when nothing is really stressing the system, but when the Xbox's Geforce 3 is already pushing bump mapping, pixel shaders, and shadow effects, there isn't much horsepower left to run the game in higher resolution (what's the last PC game that's still playable at 1920x1080 or even 1280x720 on a Geforce 3 card?). Although console games usually take advantage of the platform's capabilities more than PC games do, so it wouldn't really be suprising if the first batch of Xbox 2 games show off heavy SM3.0 usage. Hell, back when the Xbox was released there were 6 launch games that used pixel shaders, and yet at that time there were only 3 or 4 PC games that used the same effects despite the fact that the Geforce 3 had been out for almost 9 months at the time.

I honestly don't think SM3.0 or even PS2.0 will really take off until the next batch of consoles are released, once developers have a fixed platform to try things out on they feel much more secure about doing it on the PC. The 9700 card has been out for what, 2 years and there's how many PS2.0 enabled games? Hopefully Half-life 2 will encourage developers to actually use PS2.0 effects in their games (Farcry unfortunatly didn't seem to change their opinions).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote