View Single Post
Old 09-27-04, 10:19 PM   #1
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Default What Game Should I Get?

I want to buy a new game to play and since you people apparently play 'video' games, I thought I'd get some reccomendations here. I don't care whether it's new or been out for a year or two, but these are the basic qualifications and preferences I have on games:

I Need:
Decent Graphics: Something on par with Raven Shield or better, although it doesn't have to look fancy plastic FX like everything Unreal does, just detailed models and good lighting.
First Person Shooter or Very Similar: I'm all about the shooters, I like working with firearms in as realistic a way as possible. Something very close (like Splinter Cell, perhaps) would be acceptable, but if at all possible, FPS.

I Like:
WW2 - Near Future Military: Anything from Kar98s to FN 2000 rifles works for me. I like a gritty, deadly, militaristic feel to my firearms.
Big Levels: Big outdoor levels with forests and sniping/machinegunning points definitly interest me. Levels with Tribes/BF 1942esque levels are kewl.
Good Enemy AI: While I don't think any brilliant professor at MIT has yet managed to produce AI that doesn't get stuck on doors (imagine the future, robot controlled Terminators storm the Pentagon - only to get stuck like Larry, Curly and Moe!) enemies that use squad tactics, operate vehicles etc. really help make a game immersive.
Slow-Medium Paced Multiplayer: I like multiplayer like Operation Flashpoint: A long period of hiding and running interrupted by a few extremely lethal encounters.
Co-Op: This is my favourite gameplay mode, ever. A game with a good Co-Op mode would be excellent.

Things I Don't Like So Much:
Sci-Fi: Although I read a fair amount of Sci-Fi (mainly 'hard' Sci-Fi) the military purist in me revolts at the thought of weapons in the future being incapable of hitting anything, and that sort of thing. Plus aliens make for goofy enemies.

Games I've Demo'd:
Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault both appealed to me. The CoD series seemed more realistic and I loved the iron sights (although still pretty Arcady), whereas MoH seemed to be a smoother, more intuitive game. I'd like to hear your opinion on the pros and cons of these games compared to one another.