Thread: MDK 10 problems
View Single Post
Old 09-28-04, 10:10 AM   #15
rpgoldman

Question Re: MDK 10 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapsys|Phoenix
for mandrake 10.0 you would enjoy to install TLS libs (a package which does it automaticaly is stored at : ftp://ftp.pcds.ch/pub/people/rapsys
Package name is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-2.6-4phoenix.i586.rpm
or somethink like this...)

it add nvidia to /etc/modprobe.preload (not chipset actualy for some compatibility reasons, install the libtls (mandrake 10.0 only!!!) at correct place backup old one... and change nv to nvidia in XFConfig86-4

phoenix kernel on this server already contain nvidia kernel module...

A 2.6.5 one is avaible on it...
I wonder if you could explain how to "install the libtls at the correct place"? I have tried to do this by hand on Mandrake 10.0 Official, and am ending up in no end of trouble.

My symptoms are as follows:

1. Install the NVIDIA package (because of warnings, I installed 6106, not 6111).

2. Java3D apps don't work, with an error that
Code:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /opt/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/lib/i386/libJ3D.so: libnvidia-tls.so.1: cannot handle TLS data
3. I read something about moving libtls.so.1, because there are two copies of it. So I did the following:
Code:
cp /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.6106 /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.6106
That fixed my java3D problem, but....

4. When I next rebooted, the mdkkdm login screen didn't work, and X seemed completely hosed.

5. So I reinstalled the NVIDIA package, and now mdkkdm works, but I'm back to having java3D be busted.

Oh, I should mention that I tried to use the rpms from Mandrake instead of the NVIDIA install, but I could not get them to work (never could get X to start up; don't really know why). So I used the NVIDIA installer instead. This is the second NVIDIA-equipped machine I've had using Mandrake (9.1 on the last), and both times I've found the NVIDIA installer better than Mandrake RPMs. Oh, well.

Last edited by rpgoldman; 09-28-04 at 10:29 AM.
rpgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote