I've searched this board and tried almost every suggestion to get the accelerated nVidia drivers to work. At best it simply dies after startx with a sig11, no errors in the log or to stderr. The vanilla "nv" driver works fine, and the "nvidia" drivers works ok when I do "opengl-update xfree86" but obviously i end up with unaccellerated 3D.
I'm now using a hacked kernel 2.6.9-rc2-bk15, though I tried vanilla 126.96.36.199, and gentoo's modified 2.6.8 kernel. The system is clean, I just installed it 2 days ago from stage1. I'm using XFree86.
Here is my kernel config, XF86Config and X log file. I believe the card is PCI, so I have not toyed with AGPGART stuff. I'm reasonably sure that the problem must relate to the various library symbolic links, (and I have no /usr/lib/tls directory, tho I have no idea what that means anyway, just been reading posts).
If anyone has ideas, I'm at the end of my leash and about to suffer along with unaccelerated 3D. (