View Single Post
Old 10-20-04, 01:56 PM   #9
dryder20850

Unhappy Re: HDTV support - computer to HDTV set

This is killing me. So many of us have the older HDTV sets which do not support DVI nor HDMI inputs, and we need the Component inputs.

It appears I'm stuck with the ATI solution unless I shell out 200 bucks for a transcoder, which will be useless in a few years anyways if indeed nvidia cards may start supporting component out natively.

I just spent 200 bucks on a component video switch and another 100 bucks on component cables. Now I need to upgrade my video card and this is getting out of hand quickly.

When will a vendor use this other reference design with component output, or will they ever? if most new hdtvs are shipping now with DVI outputs then perhaps it will never transpire. But if I buy the transcoder then the vendors start including component support, I'm out 200 bucks. So the real question is, does anybody have any info on when or if an nvidia-based card supporting component outputs on-the-card will appear???

Or know of some good deal on a transcoder. I hate the idea that I'm spending more on cables and connections than on the components they connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Dwight
Actually nVIDIA has a reference design using a different Connexant TV-Out chip, which would output Y/Pr/Pb using three RCA jacks. It's just that no graphics card companies have felt the need to make a card with it yet. Probably not much of a market just yet.

I'm looking forward to finding out about their new Personal Cinema stuff. Hopefully they will try to compete with ATI's All-In-Wonder stuff with DirectX 9. nVIDIA's been teasing us with the idea of a cheap HDTV tuner card for years, but it's never materialized. I imagine they were waiting for all of the High-Def Copy Protection and digital rights management stuff to get into place. Look at how MP3's exploded and all the litigation that's ensued. I think aside from the market being small, they wanted to protect themselves. Maybe next year we'll finally see some HDTV noise out of nVIDIA.

For now ATI is the only way to get PC-to-HDTV output unless you're fortunate to have a TV that takes VGA input or the five connector RGBHV BNC jacks.