View Single Post
Old 10-25-04, 06:10 AM   #10
Seraphim

Default Re: Morrowind for a FPS guy?

So far it seems most are telling you to try it, here is my advice, might be a tad long

I myself am mainly an FPS gamer now, but I started out as a hardcore RPG fanboy, I went from SNES rpgs to computer RPGS, and I played the prequal to Morrowind, Daggerfall for so long I couldn't even begin to count, I LOVED daggerfall even with all its flaws. I was so excited the day Morrowind came out I had been looking forward to it for years.

Well......you will hate Morrowind, trust me on this. Morrowind will bore you within a half hour.

Combat isn't very interesting at all, just swing over and over. The "so much to do" aspect is cool, however you will soon feel like a UPS delivery boy.

The world just feels so empty and artificial. Like I am playing an MMORPG with nobody else playing. Something about playing Morrowind actually makes me feel isolated, like as soon as I am done playing I want to pick up the phone and call someone. I am dead serious, the game is just so empty and soul less.

Daggerfall had some of the same problems, but Daggerfall had a really good atmosphere, kind of dark and brooding, was a lot of fun. Also that was almost a decade ago. I am sure if Morrowind came out in 1995-1996 it would be declared the best game ever. However why would I want to play in a simulated world with virtual people when technology has increased to the point that I can play in a simulated world with real people. The game is just so damn hollow.

I am pretty sure this is what will happen when you play morrowind, you will spend a long time designing your character, wander around the first town, look at the pretty water for a bit, and then set off for the 1st mission in Caldera. Soon after meeting your contact in caldera you will burn out on this game.

I have tried really hard to like Morrowind, and I just can't, with the endless crap you have to read, the empty lonely atmosphere, and boring combat there is no way an FPS gamer will enjoy it.

Just my two cents.