What is a good motherboard?
I'm in a little bit of a problem with a few things. Very recently my pc almost died but i was still able to bring it back to life.
Now this is what i need a little help with i want to build a new system but I am not sure about a few things like which motherboard is best. I have taken a look at the MSI KT3 Ultra2 (MS-6380E) And for those who don't know the specs on this motherboard here they are.
* Supports Socket A (Socket 462) for AMDŽ Athlon^(TM) XP/
* Supports 800MHz up to 1.8GHz (Athlon^(TM) XP 2200+)
VIAŽ KT333 Chipset
- FSB @200/266 MHz
- AGP 4X and PCI Advanced high performance memory
VIAŽ VT8235 Chipset
- Integrated Direct Sound AC'97 audio
- Dual channel Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 master mode EIDE
- Integrated USB 2.0 controller
100/133 MHz clocks are supported.
Circle SpotMain Memory
* Supports six memory banks using three 184-pin DDR DIMMs
* Supports a maximum memory size up to 3GB
* Supports 2.5V DDR200/266/333 DDR SDRAM DIMM
* One AGP slot
- AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) specification compliant
- Supports AGP 2.0 1x/2x/4x
* Five 32-bit PCI bus slots (support 3.3v/5v PCI bus interface)
* One CNR (Communication Network Riser) slot
* An IDE controller on the VT8235 chipset provides IDE HDD/
CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA133/100/66/33
* Can connect up to four IDE devices.
* Realtek ALC650 6-channel audio
- SPDIF out (through S-Bracket only)
Circle SpotOn-Board Peripherals
On-Board Peripherals include:
- 1 floppy port supports 2 FDDs with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M
- 2 serial ports (COM A + COM B)
- 1 parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode
- 1 IrDA connector for SIR/ASKIR/HPSIR
- 1 audio/game port
- 1 D-Bracket^(TM) pinheader
- 1 S-Bracket pinheader
* The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which
detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the
* The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface
(DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.
30.4 cm(L) x 23.5 cm(W) ATX Form Factor
6 mounting holes.
* USB Interface
- Supports USB 2.0 and downward compatible with USB 1.1
- 6 ports USB 2.0 (Rear x 2 / Front x 4)
* Bluetooth (KT3 Ultra2-BR)
- 1 bluetooth connector on-board for bluetooth module
connection (bluetooth module optional)
* Promise 20276 On-Board (KT3 Ultra2-R, KT3 Ultra2-BR)
- Supports ATA133 RAID 0 or 1
- The two ATA133 RAID connectors support hard disk drives
Note: Only two hard disk drives will adopt the RAID function.
I tried accessing Asus site but i keep getting a time out message so if anyone knows of a good Asus board that well give this MSI board a run for it's money maybe even over take it?
Also it has be hapening more and more often some boards can't support certain types of DDR such as 2700. Is this true? And what is the best way to go when it comes to DDR memory?