View Single Post
Old 11-23-04, 01:00 PM   #50
Razor1

Default Re: Official HardOCP HL2 benchmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
My point was from the begining that nV had been working much closer with ID on doom from the very beginning. Everyone else here knows that fact. Its the same thing what is happing with ATI/Valve and again thats the only point I was trying to make.
Please your point is not there, because you left out the fact Carmack didn't make those optimizations, Nvidia did

Quote:
Until some one post the code I dont think you or I should try to second guess valve. They know more about making games than your or I
You're the one that said it uses 90 instructions maybe you want to read over how instruction sets and limitations on different code paths work..... oh yeah we know that the sm 3.0 code path isn't in there, what path is the geforces running on then, not ATI's path because who said the geforce 6 paths are not as optimized as the radeon x800 paths?

I do know alot more then you are giving me credit for, I don't know valve's code but I know the way my code works and how to optimize for different graphics hardware.

Quote:
Oh yes they are. The big man himself as "said" so. Granted anytime JC says something its always crypitc but yes NV is doing shader replacement in Doom3. Its not that big of a deal. If the game runs faster and the out put is the same then great. However in benchmarks its kind of a cheat...
He never said they were doing shader replacement, so thats not concerete. He said the drivers are doing something funny, most likly something with the AA and AF, not shader replacement. If you remember if nvidia was doing shader replacment they would have a much more pronounced lead with the fx over the 9800 not tied. Its remarkably very similiar to ALL OGL games.

Quote:
Oh good greif. You have no idea but are just guessing at the reason. Why not wait for some more proof... If you think its just that then trick the device ID and run the becnhmark again. If you get 20 more fps you might be on to something. If you dont..well there ya go...but if its about the same...then there goes your different path theory...
I'm not guessing if its using 90 instructions for that shader it will take one more pass on a native dx9 path. Dave was guessing more then I was. Its not a hardware issue if Valve purposefully did that, and from your own mouth you said it was a 90 instruction shader. And that you reported from where?
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote