View Single Post
Old 11-25-04, 09:30 PM   #42
matthew retell

Default Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucko
So I just installed Fedora Core 3 plus the nVidia drivers on my Amd64, and the result was a system that hang on "Configuring kernel parameters.

Here what I did to fix it:

1) Interrupt Grub from booting, edit the bootparameters with "e"-key, and remove the "rhgb"-parameter from the boot parameters. The continue booting normally. (This will skip the graphical boot in Fedora.)

2) Fedora complains about not being able to start GDM, ignore it and cancel all questions to get to the login prompt.

3) Login as root, enter "init 3" to go to single-user mode. Enter "modprobe nvidia" to load the nvidia-module.

4) Finally, enter "cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/" to fix the boot problem.

5) Now just enter "init 5" and you're back in business.

This solved my problem and now it boots fine. Maybe my experience will help others too?

Fedora Core 3 Amd64 (final release)
Geforce 2MX400
nVidia Amd64 drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6629)
Hey Pucko Thanks,
This worked for me too. I've been really disappointed cause I've not been able to get Fedora working cause of nvidia problem till I found your solution. I only like RedHat Fedora. It's all I've ever used & want to use. And I've tried suse,mandrake & I always come straight back to Fedora.
Much appreciated Pucko, Thanks again.
RIG: AMD64, MSI FX-5700 ,512 RAM.
matthew retell is offline   Reply With Quote