View Single Post
Old 12-11-02, 11:33 PM   #1
dave

Question Okay, I'm completely lost

I have no idea how to get my new GeForce 2 MX400 VTO card to work under XFree86 4.2.1. I've replaced a RIVA TNT PCI card, which was working fine, with this AGP card. I'm running Mandrake 9.0 (stock kernel) on a Via Apollo Pro chipset MB with a max 2x AGP slot.

I've tried pretty much anything I could think of, including upgrading from 3123 to 4191. I've tried setting NvAGP to 0, 1, 2 and 3, each in turn, in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I've set an option of NVreg_ReqAGPRate in /etc/modules.conf, having tried both 2 and 1.

Everything looks fine in /var/log/XFree86.0.log with not so much as a warning let alone an error. The card is identified and the correct resources appear to be ascribed.

Okay, here's the symptom. X starts fine and runs fine (glxgears turns at about 150 fps) but, after anywhere from 30 s to 3 m, it (almost) locks the entire computer. The cursor will move, like, once every 2 minutes and, if I hit Ctrl-Alt-Bksp at the exact second that it moves I can kill the server, else I have to power down.

I'm tearing my hair out so any advice would be appreciated. BTW, this machine dual boots Win 98SE and the card is working fine in there.

dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote