Re: Fedora Core 3 and nVidia drivers - Solution
It looks like nothing starts because the proprietary nvidia kernel module does not install before X starts the nvidia graphics driver.
Try this instead: From a clean install, using whichever version of the drivers you wish (I used 6629)
1. Download the NVIDIA driver
2. edit (as root) /etc/inittab
find the line
and change to
3. edit as root /etc/rc.local
add at the end
4. edit as root /boot/grub/grub.conf
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ quiet
5. enter in a console terminal as root
to shutdown the graphical system
6. as root, in the directory where you downloaded the installer run
or the equivalent x86_64 file (which I have)
7. edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Find Driver "nv"
I'm using FC3 x86_64 from the DVD install with the 6629 NVIDIA drivers. I've lost the pretty graphical reboot, but it boots every time, and starts X with the NVIDIA drivers installed.
If someone can load the nvidia driver even earlier in the process, the whole thing would probably work with the grapical installer as well.
Hope this helps