View Single Post
Old 12-14-04, 09:28 AM   #41
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot
Can you please give me a short (or long if you like ) comparison between the two, and in what ways WoW pales in every which way to EQ2? I'm genuinely interested .

Cheers
Bare with me if this is a complete mess but been busy with work and I only have a few to answer you.

With wow I just feel like I'm playing a cartoonie platformer. From the artstyle to the physics of the game. There's a fraction of the selection of classes. No diversity in classes, everyone looks the same throughout your world. You go in to a armor shop, 3 merchants working and they all look like identical triplets which look exactly like me. Armor and outfits are bland. Dated technical graphics(hense the reason it runs so smooth). The animation is horrible IMO. The way the characters walk, jump, battle is just to cheesy. Just not my style. IMO the ticket to the atmoshere of this game is the music. Very well done.

EQ2 is detail, it's like the simulator of MMOs. From the minute you start the game you can see the depth of it. Character classes are many to choose from and character creation is the deepest of any game. You'll be hard pressed to find another player looking exactly like you or a npc for that matter. Some(99% those who haven't played) say eq2 has no atmosphere, I'd have to disagree. All be it not super colorful(only thing wow got going for it), it's is extremly rich with detail and very alive(even at medium settings which i play). Leaves falling from trees, schools of fish, cats chasing mice in the cities, dogs chasing cats, heards of deers, mobs running through towns and npc fighting them off, flocks of butterflies, flora that interacts with you be moving out of the way when you run through it, moving skys and plenty more. Then on top of the livelyness it's super detailed. Beautiful textures that bring the game alive. Stone that creates the castles look like real stone, bark on the trees is beautfully done, ever changing stone pathways, beautful in game lighting, armour that look like armor. Spell effects are amazing and absoluty gorgous when casted, characters have facial expressions that change with mood and battleing, Music and sounds that complemnet the mood well etc, etc, etc, . Then there's the depth argument, again playing both eq2 when this department, there's just so much more with the amount of abilities of skills, different crafting systems and the way you go about crafting, grouping stragities, etc. You're not going to get the appreciation out of a picture you saw on the net, not only do the picture of eq loose tremendous amount of iq, you have to see the game in motion to really appreciate it.

btw, both of these games are my first 2 MMOs so I'm not a fanboy of either. I wanted to play both early on knowing that with this type of game you may end up playing it for years. So I wanted to make sure I played the right one before getting to involved and wishing I had played the other.

I'll be cancelling wow once my free month is up in the game. I just find myself enjoying eq2 much, much more.