View Single Post
Old 12-20-04, 12:23 AM   #95
ChrisRay

Default Re: World of Warcraff or EverQuest 2

Quote:
These games have storylines like Ninja's have rocket launchers. One of the basic subsets of a story is an exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. The MMORPGs I've played lacked exposition [I was just thrust into the game with nary a thought or preperation]. They have no Climaxs and Resolutions since the games go on forever. They have some background history to flesh out the world, but that's not a story. History of Middle Earth [12 volume series detailing well...the History of Middle Earth from the fall of the elves to the Fourth Age and onward] does not have a storyline. It's simply backstory to flesh out the world. Lord of the Rings actually has a real honest to god story/plot. I think you simply butchered the technical meaning of the word storyline and misconstrued it as a bunch of words that seem to almost form a coherent paragraph. Not only that but MMORPGs could have meta-plots if they wanted to, Vampire the Masquerade [the tabletop game, not the pc one] did and it's a freaking storytelling source book. So that 'but they're non-linear games' crap doesn't fly with me. If Vampire could do it so could online rpgs. I'm not expecting shakespeare hear, but a little meta-plot wouldn't kill these guys
They do have background stories. They are a "Role Playing" game. A Role Playing game is not a game you have a set story and follow it through to conclusion. They have a basic storyline and background

You are confusing a plot with a story. A story does not neccasarily have a plot. It can be a history of events. A background detail to immersion of the world. But a story does not neccasarily have to have a plot where events are triggered. If you want that kind of game. Then a maybe a japanese style automated story book is for you (AKA japan RPGS) There are no plots in MMORPG because you assume your own role. The entire idea is for you to take on a role in a world thats been created for you. Not for you to play a set storyline. Everything you suggested would not equal a "True" Role playing game. They are Multiplayer, Online, Role Playing games.

World of Warcraft also has a great deal of background story too it.

Quote:
Great. Don't much care for that though. Also don't see what it has do with not being generic, since a crapload of games outside of ORPGs have that as well. It's like saying these games are not generic because they have swords.
No offense, If you go around playing a mmorpg solo. You have no real business playing the game anyway. Teamwork, Friendship, and strategies are required to win in a mmorpg,

Trade skills, Economy, Questing. Are all very important aspects of MMORPG, And as the genre has developed these have become a neccesity for the games as well. Both WOW and Everquest 2 feature quest systems and progression systems based off those quests. These quests will also bottleneck your progress.

Quote:
With a genre name like First Person Shooter what do you expect? Tea Time with Marry Poppins aboard the Queen Mary? Besides most FPS games are exactly as your described [ya they take a spin here and there, but at the end of the day you CAN compare HL2, D3, and FC. Why? Because in essence they do the exact same thing]. So I'd have no problems with you generalizing the genre in such a way. The boot fits.
Well if thats your reasonining. I'll just label everything generic then. I mean Doom 3 is just killing demons to finish the game. Sonic, is just another platform game. Any category can be generic. But the games themselves arent. Any title you bring up. I will be able to label as generic. Because it fits a certain category of game.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote