I've followed these Steps
1) a) Edit "/etc/inittab" =>
Change the id:5:initdefault to id:3:initdefault .
b) Edit "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf" => Look for the Driver "nv" change it to Driver "nvidia"
In the Module section, make sure to have: Load "glx"
Remove the following lines:
*save the following files*
2) Text Mode-Login screen. Login as root.
Change to the directory, where's the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run file located.
Type sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run .
3) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel from the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com
)? (Answer: No)
4) No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface. (Answer: OK)
5) WARNING: Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable kernel module.
The rivafb driver conflicts with the NVIDIA driver; the NVIDIA kernel module will still be built and installed, but be aware that the NVIDIA driver will not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded! (Answer: OK)
6) Wait for the Nvidia to finish the installation!
At the Text-Mode Login Screen.
a) Type modprobe nvidia.
b) Type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
c) Type chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
d) Type reboot
7) At the Text-Mode Login Screen.
a) Type init 5
8) Edit the /etc/inittab => id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault
The result was that now, when I reboot, it freezes on the nvidia splash screen, although the mouse icon still moves
My PC Specs
MB: Asus A7N8X-X
Sparkle GeForce 4 MX 440-8x
80Gb (Win XP SP1 and 10Gb partition for fc3)