View Single Post
Old 12-31-04, 02:32 PM   #1
vincejk

Default Need help/advice on GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP

Hello all - First time poster here. This appears to be the most comprehensive site I've seen for nVidia related information, so I'm humbly submitting a query which I am sure someone here (from reading the posts) should be able to answer.

Got my daughter Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for X-mas, but my NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro just doesn't seem to cut it (seems it doesn't support "T&L"?), So, looks like time to upgrade, BUT, want to keep costs around $60-70 (may be time for a new computer in a year or so, so don't want to dump money into it).

So let me get to my question. I've been specifically looking at the ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64 bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "V9520-X/TD/128" -OEM available at Newegg for about $50. (Existing RIVA is a PCI, but I do know that my Asus MB has a 2X/4X AGP slot) So, question is, first, will the card support RCT3 (and some of the newer 3-D games - my daughter likes the "simulation type games)? Does the 64bit memory interface cause any problems/bottlenecks? Second, any general opinion on the card and/or OEM, and/or merchant (I'm going with Asus b/c I have an Asus mainboard) or recommendation for alternatives in same price range?

Bear in mind I'm not looking for spectacular performance. Just to be able to run the games reasonably for my kids, and see some noticable improvement over my current card.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, and Happy New Year to all!

Vince

P.S. Brief system info follows:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 272MB used, 347MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
I realize I should probably also upgrade my RAM as well since XP is so memory hungry.
vincejk is offline   Reply With Quote