View Single Post
Old 12-31-04, 05:47 PM   #30
ekloot1978

Default Re: 5700LE, Looking for more info!

And the way I would install the pci video card would be as follows:
1. I would not change anything in the bios because it looks like they have it set correctly for you by default (since PCI is the Primary Video Adapter setting already).
2. Go to nvidia.com and download the latest video card drivers for the new video card but do not install them yet.
3. Turn off the computer and put the new pci video card in the top pci slot if it is still open...otherwise you might have to use a different slot. But keep the monitor cord plugged into the old integrated video card for now.
4. Turn on the computer and boot into windows. When the computer boots up it will probably say "new hardware found" and it will search for drivers by itself. I would hit cancel and not let it install any drivers.
5. Now, in the device manager select to disable the onboard video card...and remember disable it...do not uninstall it because if you uninstall it then it will try to re-detect and re-install itself when rebooting the computer.
6. It might prompt you to reboot the computer but whether it does or not...turn off the computer and plug the monitor cord into the new video card.
7. Turn the computer back on and boot into windows...if it searches for drivers again for the new video card then cancel that.
8. Now you can install those nvidia drivers you downloaded earlier and hopefully everything should work fine now.

Some people say that you should go to add/remove programs and uninstall anything that has to do with the old video card but I don't know if this is necessary since the old video card would already be disabled in windows anyways...and I don't think my friend uninstalled any of that old stuff but I can't remember. I would just leave it if everything is fine with the new card.

However, one thing I would check after all this is to make sure in the device manager that the new pci video card isn't sharing any IRQ's with any other devices or cards. It is preferrable to have your video card on its own IRQ and not sharing any resources. On some computers it isn't a problem if it is sharing, but on others it is...just depends. If it is sharing IRQ's but all your games and everything are working fine then it may be best to just leave it be. But if the new card is sharing an IRQ with another device and you are having trouble with it and you want to try to get it onto its own IRQ then you can try to uninstall the nvidia drivers in the add remove programs list and then turn off the computer and move the card to a different PCI slot and then turn it back on and install the nvidia drivers again. That will change its IRQ because because different pci slots usually have different IRQ's.

Whew, that's a lot of info.
ekloot1978 is offline   Reply With Quote