Default MSI GeForce FX5700 (256mb) problem

Hello All,

Let me give you an idea about my machine:

Koolance water-cooled tower
p4 3.2 w/ht
abit IC7-MAX3
1024 (2x512) Geil pc4200 memory
MSI GeForce FX5700 (256 mb memory)
4 x 120 Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD's (I am running 2 RAID 0 config's)
Enermax 550 w switching ps

Nothing has been overclocked. I started updating the drivers for all the devices recently, including the bios for the mb. When the machine is running, it runs awesome! Plays cs:source flawlessly, and HL2. But, within' the last few weeks I noticed that if I shut down the machine totally, wait 5, 10, 15 seconds or more then start the machine, the screens are all garbled. The text is all over the place, some capitalized, some not. It looks messed up. The only way I have been able to bypass this each time is to shut the machine down, short the cmos, then startup and go into the bios. In the bios I reset the sata for the on-chip raid, then I change the -- initialize first video -- from pci to agp. Then finally I adjust the agp aperture size from 128 to 256, then I save and exit. Now I am back to where I began. I tried to re-install the drivers for the video card, update the mb bios, and I even tried to roll back all the drivers... same crap. The next thing I will do soon is restore the pc back to Nov 1 of last year when I know that it was working fine. All this before I try a fresh windows xp pro install. Has anybody heard of any issues like this. Ohhh! When I power down the computer and listen, after it shuts down, I hear a sound from the mb, like the stored power is drained??? This is the point when all the clearing of the cmos begins... Does this make sense?

Please help. Thank you all.

Let me know if you need more info!!
mcv50 is offline   Reply With Quote