View Single Post
Old 12-18-02, 12:18 AM   #1
reduc

Default nvidia drivers lock up xwindows

I have a geforce4 mx420 card and had a mandrake 9.0 install that worked fine with the generic nvidia drivers (Geforce 4 (generic)). Of course, these drivers didn't support opengl, so I downloaded and installed the 1.0-4191 kernel and glx drivers. I used NVchooser.sh to pick the correct files. I edited my XF86Config like the readme told me to. I started up x and everything seemed to work ok for a couple of min and then my system just locked. I could move the mouse, but when I tried clicking on windows/icons nothing happened. I then went back to the generic drivers and everything worked ok.

Just to test my install, I installed linux again. This time with RH 8.0. I also decided to compile the the correct drivers from the tar.gz files. I ran into the exact same problem again...the screen just freezes. No errors or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

I doubt it's the card or hardware causing the problem because they run fine in win2k and in linux when I'm not using the drivers from nvidia.
reduc is offline   Reply With Quote