View Single Post
Old 12-22-02, 12:31 AM   #7
adrin

Right after I submitted my previous post I tried 1.0-4191!

Unfortunately, _exactly_ the same problem(s) again.

I have compiled the source codes (no rpms were used) and there were no errors whatsoever. I have used the correct(?) XF86Config-4; well it's the same as the one that works fine with version 2960 and the earlier linux kernel.

I have checked all the required files and links as per the nvidia document. I have also read the FAQ's etc. I don't see any error messages in the XFree86.0.log file (perhaps I'm not looking at all the files? - I've used verbose 5) My modules.conf has "alias char-major-195 nvidia". The /dev/nvidia* files are there, etc. etc. etc.

I have upgraded my Red Hat 7.3 kernel to 2.4.18-19.7.x and all the required files have higher versions than those required in the nvidia manual.

The problems are, again:

(1) The nvidia module will not load automatically at boot time and I have tried all the recommendations on this thread

(2) subsequent to loading the module manually I run startx but rather than the program crashing and printing a message on the screen (short of doing the right thing, of course!) it automatically reboots the system!

I have tried the process using ViewSonic P95f+ CRT and ViewSonic VX800 DFP, both give the same headache.

I have tried everything I know for well over 2 weeks now and I'm REALLY VERY frustrated.

BTW, I've checked the thread on 1.0-4191 and it seems that others have had sort of similar problems

I would appreciate it if someone would "babysit" me through checking the proper files for possible errors to finally take care of this issue. If there is a particular file that might help resolve this issue please let me know and I'll include it here

Thanks

adrin
adrin is offline   Reply With Quote